Mechanical Design Engineer
This person is responsible for the tool design and machine design activities within the engineering department. This person will develop tool and machine concepts and be responsible for detailing designs related to these concepts. This person will create detailed component prints and assembly prints so that a tool design or machine design can be fabricated and assembled on the shop floor. This person is also responsible for identifying, specifying, and sourcing purchased components and materials as they relate to tool and machine designs. This design engineer will also support shop build activities and development activities as required to complete the tool or machine build process. This position will report directly to the Engineering Manager.
- Responsible for evaluating and interpreting drawings and specifications from customers in order to design and develop an acceptable solution for various tube forming applications.
- Helps with estimating and developing cost targets for tooling and machine designs.
- Creates conceptual tooling or machine designs for tube forming and material handling applications.
- Prepares complete and detailed 3D models of tubing form tools, dies, and machines.
- Responsible for creating detailed component drawings, assembly drawings, and process drawings.
- Creates bills of materials for product designs.
- Identifies and sources various materials, components, and assemblies as required for tooling and equipment designs.
- Utilizes hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, or electro-mechanical devices in tooling and machine designs as required for tube forming or tube handling applications.
- Helps develop manufacturing processes as required for fabricating, building, and assembling tooling and machines.
- Assists manufacturing with tooling and machine development activities that are required to debug or prove out tooling and machine designs.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished-product and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Prepares product and process documentation as required to aid tool and machine builds or documenting final product, i.e. process prints, setup sheets, fabrication prints, operations manuals, dimensional reports, etc.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and inquiries from shop personnel or other staff.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations and industry guidelines.
- Train and guide technicians regarding setup and operation of new tooling and machine operations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Provide engineering and estimating assistance to help design or develop products that are easier to process and manufacture.
- Proficient in SolidWorks or other 3D modeling software.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities.
- Strong computer related skills and familiar with various Microsoft software packages.
- Minimum 3 years on the job experience as above average tool designer/machine designer.
- Prefer experience in industries related to metal forming, tube forming, and/or metal fabrication.